Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day!


Wow! Another Father's Day in waiting! The difference is this year we really do see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've been a teary-eyed mess on and off all day just thinking that next year we will have Lexi. I know that Geoff is already a father to Sara and Grandfather to Brennen and nothing can ever take away from that but it will be different for him to have his very own baby to love and feel the joy of watching her grow before our eyes.

Well, this year we had a very nice Father's Day celebration with my family. We all went to my sister's house to cook out and play in the pool. It was so nice having everyone there and we all had such a nice time. We had a feast!!! To make the day even more special my mom had a GREAT surprise for Geoff and me! She finished the 100 Good Wishes Quilt!!! It's been mostly finished for over a year now but still had a few stitches to be completed. Mom finished them yesterday morning and wrapped the quilt in the most precious baby girl paper and put the most perfect card in the box for us. As things started to wind down, they called my Dad to come inside and I followed to find everyone gathered in the living room. (Sneaky Geoff hid behind the camera so that is why he is not the pictures!) I had no idea what was in the box and was quite confused as to why I was opening a present on Father's Day. Needless to say, tears welled up in my eyes as I began to realize what was in the box! I did complain about the fact that I was in my bathing suit, no makeup and hair all messed up for the pictures... some warning would have been nice! Apparently mom has been waiting for quite some time to put the finishing stiches in the quilt and for a family gathering. I can't even begin to express how happy this quilt has made me. It started out as something to do to help pass the time and it was a huge request to make of Mom. It turned out to be a very special "event" over time where I bonded with family, friends, and strangers over the making of this precious quilt. It is time with my Mom and a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life.

I can't wait to meet everyone at the airport with my Mom and Dad there waiting with the quilt. Lexi will get wrapped in it at the air port even if it is hot! The pictures below show that she most likely won't mind because Brennen sure loved playing in it! We've really had a great time looking at the fabric in the quilt and remembering who sent the scraps. I used to know almost all of them but have gotten a bit rusty during the wait. I love the star fabric on the back as it reminds me of the many wishes in the quilt and of our very own wish to bring our daughter home. Mom has made me promise not to put it on my bed and sleep with it to make sure it stays clean and fresh for Lexi ... but I know that every so often I'll be cuddling with it dreaming of the near future and the little bundle that will be wrapped inside!





2 comments:

Stephe said...

Happy Fathers Day to Geoff!!

Next year he'll be getting hugs and kisses from one more child!!!!

I LOVE the quilt, what an amazing suprise!!!! : )

Alyson and Ford said...

The quilt looks awesome!! What a family gift of labor and love...
peace
fm