Friday, October 14, 2005

Final Home Study Visit on the Way ...

This Sunday at 1:00 we will have our final home study visit. Of course, it is Friday evening and I'm fretting over getting everything just perfect around the house. I know it is not a big deal. She is not going to be using a white glove to sweep over our base-boards but I still find myself wanting the house as clean as possible. Even though I still have a lot to do to make myself feel "prepared" for the final visit, I have to admit I'm more irritated with our local Department of Family and Children Services. They hold the LAST piece of the puzzle in our home study: The CPS form. This is the Child Protection Services form. I guess it lets the home study agency know that we have not been reported to have abused any children locally. Again our local DFACS agency lets me down (remember we did try to become foster parents). Our agency has faxed the form to them twice with no response. I even called them and got no response. I've realized that it's all about perception... we want someone to feel it is as important as we do... and they are just doing their job with no concern about us. This IS such a big deal! I feel so connected to Lexi. We talk about her as if she is with us already. I have a vision of this child and she is already such a huge part of our life. I just wish I could get this point across to all of those who have to push paperwork for us!
One good thing did happen this week though. I received my passport. Geoff's came back a few weeks ago. He had one previously from when he interned at the National Center for Missing Children but I have never had one. We were worried that I would have to reapply after hurricane Katrina. All of the passports from Georgia are sent to New Orleans. We were advised that our passport information may be lost. I was so happy to learn that it was not floating around in the flood waters of New Orleans.

No comments: