Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jesus doesn’t get the blame…

I wonder what Lexi will think one day when she is old enough to read this blog and understand.  I say this as I begin to tell the story of the night.  Lj was so happy to have Brennen and CE over today to play.  Then after they left we finished watching Snow White while I had dinner cooking. The no pictures comes from being too tired to download… I know that’s pretty lame but… true.

It was my turn to put Lj to bed tonight.  Immediately she began her manipulation.  It’s all about who is not putting her to bed these days.  She is playing us like a fiddle.  I’ll only kiss you after you close the door… I’ll only let this person put me in the car seat… on and on.  Well, I know as an educator that children are not the ones that are supposed to be in control. I know that what we do now determines how she will be as she grows up.  So when she started the game tonight, I told her “kiss Daddy now or not at all”.  I know it sounds harsh but we are growing tired of this nightly battle.  So I took her in her room and immediately she began “muh.. muh.. muh.. “  wanting to go kiss Geoff. I took her on in the room and sat down to rock her.  She was so confused by losing control that she just sat in my lap looking at me.  When I asked her to say her prayers with me, she showed more attitude and refused.  So I just told her, that’s fine… you don’t have to say your prayers but just because you are mad at Mommy doesn’t mean you have to take it out on Jesus.  I put her to bed and she fussed but within a few minutes she went to sleep. 

The trials of Parenthood never end…

3 comments:

Carolyn Smiley said...

You two are a great parents. When she does read this she will thank-you for molding her into the great person she will become, and will apologize to Jesus!

Wanda, Geoff and Lexi said...

"and will apologize to Jesus!" LOL! This response just cracked me up!

Jenna said...

I am so late reading this but the "Jesus" part cracked me up. I'm sitting here all alone and laughing out loud. It sounds a lot like what I say to Josh when he's acting up. Because saying, "Jesus doesn't like that" makes for a very well behaved child out of him.